We are the team of the Institute for Public Environment Development – Iva, Diana, Lilian and Yasen. We are working together to increase civic participation in governance, to limit the influence of money in politics and ensure fair electoral process.
The mission of the organization includes the development and implementation of mechanisms for accountability of the public institutions and civil control over their activities.
We have been working in the field of independent observation of the electoral process in Bulgaria for more than 10 years and we have been developing a network of volunteers – independent observers. We put emphasis on protecting voters rights and identifying the risks of vicious practices in the electoral process. With our analyses and researches we aim to support the expert debate in the field of electoral legislation and procedures.
The Institute for Public Environment Development was established on 04.04.2003 in Sofia, and in 2018 it was registered in the Commercial Register and the Register of Non-Profit Legal Entities at the Registry Agency.
The managing body of the association is the Board of Directors, composed of 5 people, representatives of various professional fields in the country. You can find out who are the members of our Board HERE.
You can get acquainted with our statute HERE. All narrative and financial reports of the organization are public, and more information about our activities and annual reports can be found on the website of the Registry Agency.
You can find our organizational documents HERE.
- Media monitoring of the funds during electoral campaigns.
- Tracking of political donations.
- Party funding.
2016 - 2019
- Study of the events that took place in 2015 in Garmen, Orlandovtsi and Kyustendil - study of the policies for Roma integration in Bulgaria in the changed international and domestic political context
- Money, measures, policies: How far does support for Roma communities go? - study of the public policies in Bulgaria implemented at local level in support of vulnerable Roma communities.
Assessment of the impact of the election rules - old and new norms - study of the rules under which the parliamentary elections were held in 2013, as well as the changes introduced in the Electoral Code in 2014.
- Electoral rules in Bulgaria - impact and need for change - study of the electoral legislation in the country and recommendations for changes
- BORCOR - between myths and corruption realities - study on the created and implemented complex model for prevention and counteraction to corruption and organized crime - BORCOR project
2011 Establishment of the Open Parliament
An open parliament is a platform for independent analysis of data on the activities of MPs and the legislative process.
2003 - 2009 The beginning ...
Research in the following areas:
- Judicial reform
- Local governance policies and practices
- Transparency and accountability of institutions
- Establishing the principles of the democracy and rule of law
The Institute for Development of the Public Environment was established on April 4, 2003 in Sofia.
The Organization’s main mission is promotion of civil culture and assertion of the values and principles of democratic law and order, encouragement of citizen control and popularization of the forms of citizen participation in governance.
Our main goals are dissemination of ideas and information, building partnerships and implementing programs and projects targeting: civil society development; creating conditions to guarantee respect for the rights and legitimate interests of citizens.The main areas of activity of the
Organization are development of civil-society participation in government; elaboration and application of controlling and accounting instruments designed for public institutions, and implementation of new practices and models in connection with public administration.
- Promotion of civil culture and assertion of the values and principles of democratic law and order;
- Encouragement of citizen control, and popularization of the forms of citizen participation in governance;
- Improvement of the mechanisms ensuring transparency and accountability in the public environment;
- Building the capacity of public administration and improvement of governance in the public sector;
- Study and investigation of processes in the public environment, and making public the state of the public environment.
- Certificate of registration of the Institute for Public Environment Development
- Statute of the Institute for Public Environment Development
- Internal rules of the Institute for Public Environment Development – for control and prevention of money laundering
- General conditions for use of products, services and content
- Privacy and data protection policy
The Association the Institute for Public Environment Development was established on 04.04.2003 in Sofia and was registered by the Sofia City Court with court case № 4552. The Association was registered in the Commercial Register and the Register of Non-Profit Legal Entities at the Registry Agency in 2018.
More information about the activities and the annual reports of the association can be found on the website of the Registry Agency.