IPED conducts a press conference about the “openness” in the work of Central election commission (CEC)
On the 6th of October, 2011 IPED conducted a press conference entitled “The “X” files, or in other words – why the CEC refused to announce publicly the reports of its meetings”. The event was attended by more than 20 journalists from electronic and print Medias. The Institute for public environment development expressed its opinion, concerning the following questions:
- Why was the access to the protocols of CEC denied to us, if those protocols are supposed to be public information?
- Are there any secrets in the protocols of CEC, which need to be kept in secret from the citizens?
- Is the CEC afraid to show publicly the arguments of the commission members, during the time when they discuss and take decisions?
- Why is it so hard for the citizens and the Medias to communicate with the CEC?
- Why the CEC started its informational campaign so late? What will be the consequences?
The press conference was conducted within the project “Impact Assessment of the New Election Legislation in Bulgaria and Advocacy for a Fair Election Process” funded by the Balkan trust for democracy.